How it works
Ask The Ancestors offers 2 free services;
Full access to our Surname social media community for surnames.
We currently have a separate community page for over 11,000 family surnames. If your surname is not in the database you can create on in less than 30 seconds.
Once you have joined and found your surname page or created a new one you can post content to the community from your page.
Post photos of your ancestors.
Ask the community for information on your ancestors or family.
Ask the community for help in tracing family who may have moved to another country
In fact the community is there to help you on any aspect of your own family history.
You will also have access to a free family tree template to create your own family tree on line.
There is no limit to the number of names you can have in your tree and if, in fact, you do have a GEDCOM family tree file you can upload this via the upload button in the top menu bar and store it with Ask The Ancestors at no annual charge.
Once you have joined: select Family tree from the top menu bar and a blank tree will appear.
every time the tree page will show 4 levels
- Level 3: My great parents
- Level 2: My parents
- Level 1: Me and my spouse
- Level 0: My children
Click on "Edit" button, the page will show the details of the selected member. You can edit and save the information.
You can also access your personal family tree by going to “community” in the top menu bar and then when community displays select Family tree.
Where to begin?
- Enter the information you already know into your family tree.
- Speak to your relatives to see if they can tell you more about your family history.
- Search other members' trees and see if anyone else is researching the same family as you.
- Use our historical records to find detailed information of ancestors from hundreds of years ago.